Had some fun with this. Full of surprises and consistently fun. Reminds me of some of my favourite old school platformers, but luckily this one has less flaws. Worth a look for anyone that likes grapple hooks, prince of persia or spelunky.
Aura of Worlds
A downloadable Roguelike Platformer for Windows
Aura of worlds is a creative tactics rogue-lite platformer. It has a strong focus on exploration, improvisation and manipulating the environment to your advantage. You progress through utilizing your wits, reflexes and a plethora of innovative abilities.
Procedural levels range from pursuing toxic pollen; to flooded passages lined with explosives; to bosses spanning the entire labyrinth.
There are multiple solutions to every problem. For example, if there is a laser force field trap in front of you do you...:
- Throw an enemy into it?
- Blow up the conduit with a grenade?
- Blink through it?
- Cloak yourself to pass through undetected?
Aura of Worlds is under active development. Things are subject to ongoing content additions and improvements; with updates posted about once every 2-5 weeks (notification in game). Don't worry though; the game has gone through trial by fire across over 1000 players at conventions (like PAX), developer meetups and testing groups over the years.
Buying the game now entitles you to:
- All project updates (you'll be notified in game) from now till the end of time.
- A discount of
10%15% during the festive season
Please note that the price will eventually rise to at least $15 on full release.
- A Steam key when we do a hard launch mid 2018 if you so wish :)
- The first 3 procedural worlds: each with their own unique layout types, hazards and special level themes (all unlocked at the start if purchased in the first week).
- Multiple hours of strategic challenge; with no two levels ever playing out the same way.
- Over 60 unique enemies and traps
- Handcrafted pixel-art visuals and custom OST.
- So much more...
Unsure if this is your kind of game? Like to see what others have to say first?
Check out our Wall of Press coverage for let's plays and articles :). Note that the game has improved much since then; with many more refinements since.
You will need:
- A computer running Windows XP or higher.
- The .Net framework installed (which you should be prompted for by Microsoft if it isn't)
- mouse and keyboard or... an Xbox controller
- If you are running the demo on a low end windows laptop; please select dedicated graphics for smoother performance (right click->graphics process)
Handy related links:
Feel free to use the comments section for tips (we'll set up a forum later)
Next game update scheduled for the 19th of December
To contact us directly (or if you're press and would like a key) please message:
|Published||52 days ago|
|Tags||2D, Action-Adventure, Pixel Art, Procedural Generation, Roguelike, roguelite, Tactical|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, XBox 360 controllers|
|Accessibility||Subtitles, Configurable controls, Interactive tutorial|
|Links||Homepage, Press Kit, Community, Community|
In order to download this Roguelike Platformer you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $8.50 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Aura of Worlds: Interview and Feature - GameCloud10 days ago
- Checkpoint Gaming Feature: Aura of Worlds21 days ago
- PC Gamer Article: Most promising indies seen at PAX 201726 days ago
- Update 0.60.1 - targeting system upgrades...31 days ago
- Update 0.59.10.5 - decapitation and more...35 days ago
- Pixel Pop Network - Article Feature Focus – Aura of Worlds40 days ago
- PAX Australia 201745 days ago
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Thanks for your support ireadtabloids!
We'll continue to update the game on a regular basis :).
Have a fine festive season :)
Pretty awesome game! A lot of variety to enemies and the setting. What I love the most about that you can tackle the challenges the way you want. And being given random equipment always keeps it fresh every time you start, you try to figure out how to master your tools. Looking forward to full release.
This is such a fun game! so many ways to play it which I really appreciate. I cant wait to see more of this beautiful game.
Thanks for checking out our game at PAX in October Lenamon;
as well as helping us spread the word :)!
Game looks awesome, when will you be releasing on Steam, and when you do will there be Steam Achievements?...thanks in advance for your time and best of luck!
Thanks Batmobilly :),
Yes it will be releasing on Steam; and anyone who's gotten the game before that will be sent a key :).
We're aiming for around March-April 2018 after:
- *Sending out press builds
- Implementing additional systems such as permanent unlocks
- Adding additional abilities such as dashing and sphere of influence.
- additional enemies and traps (we currently have over 60)
- The 4th world is cold crust caverns...
We will also be implementing Steam achievements but those will be post launch.
Great game! Congratulations on the launch :)
Finally beat the Bronze Soldier. Well, actually he dealt the killing blow to himself when he charged my shield causing a stalactite to fall on him dealing 45 damage :)
It was great seeing this at PAX Aus, now to see if I can make it past level two...
It was great to see you at both GX And PAX; thanks for buying the game at the latter.
Your visual novels are amazing and I love the art style and narrative of Death of Magic :).
I'm a fan of roguelites like TowerClimb, Spelunky and Downwell
I remember seeing an early impressions review of your game a while back.
What changes have you made since?
We've added quite a few since the review from GameTurtle:
- Added a system of runes; which give the players perks including being able to glide, being able to carry and throw things unimpeded, stealing health enemies.
- Fleshed out the Grotto of Guidance much more. Including
- Added a new boss: the bronze soldier.
- Some additional enemies and traps.
- Updated most of the graphics, particularly in the garden area.
- Much more particle effects (particularly for weapons and player actions)
- Extended the sound track with several more tracks including a unique musical piece for bosses.
- Multiple other tweaks, rebalancing and bug fixes from player feedback.
- Much more...
I can post the updates from June to now in the dev log if you like :)
We're fans of the 3 games you've mentioned to; having spent 50-100 hours finishing each in turn. Haven't quite beat Downwell on Hard yet though; nor gotten all 7 legendary fragments in the challenge run for TowerClimb (brutal boiler being the main roadblock right now XD). Glad you mentioned TowerClimb as it was actually the first roguelite platformer we played (even before Spelunky and Rogue Legacy) back in 2013 :)
TowerClimb is grossly underrated...never quite got the attention it deserved.
As for the 7 fragments run (which I'm also yet to finish): brutal boiler isn't too bad; after a lot of practice winchshot becomes second nature (albeit infuriating if you don't reorder the levels to practice ;)). The arcade was the hardest for me (damn stun./zap blocks are hard to predict/outrun).
Anyway....giving Aura a spin; if it's good I might leave you a tip :)
EDIT: Neat game;
Reminds me alot of TowerClimb, Catacomb Kids or Spelunky with the depth of interactions (though a fair bit more forgiving and quite different). TC is still my favorite; but I look forward to seeing how Aura develops :)
Finished up with PAX a couple of days ago
Back to updating the game and sharing articles :)
Hi Folks :)
We'll be exhibiting the game at PAX Australia from the 26th-30th of October and so our responses may take longer during this weekend.
We will however endeavour to respond to comments as soon as possible :).